Monday, April 13, 2009

Commentary test: ‘Deaf to the world
Rohan Gupta (5)
3B
Question 1:
Deaf to the world is an article that discusses the main issue of people using cellphones or earphones and how they might distract the user. According to the articles people, youth in particular, are glued to their cellphone screen or absorbed in the music coming out of their earphones to such an extent that they do not notice what is going on around them and this can lead to safety concerns and accidents. However the article provides a balance point of view by bringing in the viewpoint of these users - that it is other peoples’ responsibility to look out for them.

Question 2: Entertainment = Safety risk? Ban use of cellphone and earphones on the move.
Even the thought of banning the use of earphones and cellphone use on the move sounds crazy. It is an absolutely absurd idea that is not feasible at all and only people with no sense of enjoyment and entertainment will want to implement. Being an avid earphone user myself, this was my stand on the banning of earphones and cellphone use on the move. Even as recently as this morning, I was blasting rock music into my ears at max volume and moving soaking in the adventure of a cool new hand phone game as I made my way to school. I was so engrossed in the music and game that I did not realize when the traffic signal turned red. Being stranded halfway across the road and staring down at the handphone screen, I was still not able not notice the red signal and hear the angry drivers’ horns thanks to the addictive beat of a Simple Plan song. In fact the only time I realized that the signal was red was when a car nearly bumped into me. This incident made me reflect upon the safety of using earphones and cellphones on the move especially while walking along the street or crossing the road.
Using cellphones and listening to music on the move came across as a safety hazard that could lead to many accidents. I feel that the use of earphone and cellphone should be banned while walking across the street or crossing the road. This is mainly because people listening to earphones are placing considerable safety risks on themselves and others. It might also be the responsibility of others to look out for such people but however I feel that one should take care of his/hers own wellbeing and not depend on others.
Use of handheld media devices is fine when permitted to traveling in the bus or train but very questionable when it comes to using them on the move as there are a lot of safety issues involved. The people who are using these media devices pose a threat to themselves as well as others around them simply because they are distracted by these devices and are unable to look out for any other people, cars or even bicycles that are coming by. Studies have shown that distraction from handheld electronic devices such as the mobile phone and iPods have been one of the major causes of road accidents. Also the simple fact that people using these devices, as proved by studies, have a reduced reaction time by up to 35% and they are thus not able to avoid bumping into people bicycles of even cars easily. Therefore it is evident that use of these kind of media devices pose a safety threat as users are not able to watch out for themselves and other people because of the distraction and reduced reaction time.
However use of such media devices should not be banned as it is also the responsibility of people around these users to watch out for them. This might be true that other people, e.g. drivers should watch out for people using such media devices. This a often used argument to diminish the stand that earphones should be banned but however I don’t think it is possible. Going back to the incident that happened today, it is evident that people tried to warn me by blowing horns but I was too distracted and could not hear them. My point here is this that it is hard for other drivers to watch out and warn such users about danger when they are so distracted and unresponsive. Also it is everyone own responsibility to take care of himself/herself and not leave it to others. Therefore I find that this argument to not be feasible.
I am glad that I have realized the safety risks that come along with using media devices on the move in time. However not everyone may be as lucky as me and might end up in a disastrous accident before this fact hits them. Therefore the government should take the initiative to ban earphone and cellphone use on the go so as to protect its people.

No comments:

Post a Comment